Users browsing this topic: 3 Guests
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Clones & Projects
Users watching this topic: 32  
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#181  Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:16 am  Reply with quote + 
Someone64 wrote:
I do care about balance when it reaches the point that you can consider it game breaking. Specially, in the case of bomberman, if it means developing a tactical monoculture which would obviously decrease variety in gameplay. Though now that I think of it, the second idea (implement as a power up) may not be that bad in terms of balance as long as you put the power up amount default levels right.

I didn't mean that you didn't care about balance, but rather that I was making the assumption, based on what you said, that it's lower on your priority list compared to me. I still want to make sure games are very enjoyable in a challenging way, but to me, balance is absolutely necessary to achieve that goal.
View user profile Send Private Message
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#182  Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:14 am  Reply with quote + 
I believe that modifying the original items too much in weirdly niche ways would mess up the gameplay and make things a little too confusing and unpredictable.

As for the Power Glove, it is generally kind of overpowered in the original games too. The delay present in this game seems like a decent enough fix to me. The Power Glove is one of my favorite items, so I tend to overuse it when I have it, and it has been serving me pretty well. I don't recall having accidentally picked up one of my own bombs, though I do occasionally pick up players by accident. But that is to be expected and is not really a problem with the game itself.

Alright, I've played at least one match in every variation of every Battle Stage. Not very extensive, true, but there's so much content that I wanted to try it all out in a timely manner. You've done a really good job of incorporating a wide variety traps and items from throughout the franchise in a way that seems sensible and balanced. As a side note, I was pleasantly surprised by the addition of new variants of the Wide Mode stage - very cool. I... don't really know what else to say. Going through everything that the game has to offer, it strikes me that a Bomberman fangame of this magnitude is unprecedented. Kudos.

Here are some things that I've noticed:

* When Onils are hit by Pressure Blocks, they just kind of stand there instead of dying. Doesn't seem to have any impact on gameplay though, it just looks kind of weird.

* If a Yellow Rui kicks a Soft Block through a screen wrapping tunnel, the following error is thrown:

Code:
Action number 1, End Step Event for object kicked_soft_obj:

Error in code at line 26:
if ( grid [ gx , gy ] != 0 || dont )

at position 9: Unknown variable grid or array index out of bounds

* The Protrusion Hard Blocks are entirely passable when they're moving, so a player can walk straight through them to the other side... kind of like the old trick with Pac Man, moving through the ghosts safely on just the right frame between tile spaces. Seems kind of broken in a way. I think that, in Super Bomberman 5, the entirety of the track was made solid during transition to prevent this, though there are probably better ways of handling it.

Also, when Pressure Blocks start falling, players can stand on the empty tracks of the Protrusion Blocks and remain there safely for quite a bit of time until the block decides to move off of the Pressure Block it is currently occupying and onto the empty space, finally crushing the player.

* At one point, an AI opponent grabbed a Skull item and began to rapidly switch between left and right directions while remaining generally in the same place. He was blocked above and below, kind of in between tile spaces if I remember correctly. Not sure what triggered it, but he stayed that way until I put him out of his misery.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#183  Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:31 am  Reply with quote + 
plasm wrote:
I believe that modifying the original items too much in weirdly niche ways would mess up the gameplay and make things a little too confusing and unpredictable.

Considering the nature of the game, I, too, agree with this notion. Still, it doesn't hurt to explore different ideas to see what's available and if there is a way to implement these things in a way that still feels like the original gameplay.

plasm wrote:
I don't recall having accidentally picked up one of my own bombs, though I do occasionally pick up players by accident. But that is to be expected and is not really a problem with the game itself.

The picking up of players is what I was referring to. But, it's not that alone which is an issue. It's when you combine it with the slow pickup time and fast paced bomb skirmishes, as it can hurt you in some instances while the player being held is invulnerable.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#184  Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:15 am  Reply with quote + 
[Collapse] Bug Report

It's official guys, the Power Glove is broken! :laugh: 

Seems to be a consistent bug whenever you try to kick a Tracing Bomb while holding a bomb. It seems harmless outside of the graphics screwing up.
Someone64
Bomberdude

Post#185  Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:50 am  Reply with quote + 
I think I've already reported the same Yellow Rui related bug actually.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#186  Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:05 am  Reply with quote + 
@DarkFire4114:
Is the bug the held bomb being shown at base level over White Bomber? At first, it just looked like you had just picked it up and it was beginning to ascend.

@Someone64:
In which post? I didn't notice. Or was the bug reported in an earlier version?
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#187  Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:12 am  Reply with quote + 
plasm wrote:
@DarkFire4114:
Is the bug the held bomb being shown at base level over White Bomber? At first, it just looked like you had just picked it up and it was beginning to ascend.

It's stuck there, yeah. Shiro won't animate his walking animation properly either. Bomb won't animate as well.
Jei
Bomberman

Post#188  Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:16 pm  Reply with quote + 
Thanks for posting. I do recall there being at least one official 2D game where kicked bomb could stun other players (Super Bomberman 2?), but I don't think it's worth carrying over here, unless in form of another pick-up. Kicked bombs are noticably faster than in most official games, which is a big buff as is.

Power Glove's extended pick-up time stems from the fact that if you stayed behind the wall and repeatedly picked up and threw bombs into one spot in 0.2.1, you could keep making single spot explode through throwing a bomb into explosion of the earlier bomb (this probably is still possible with Cherry Bombs, but thanks to increased pick-up time it's not as abusable). Accidental player pick-ups is simply something you have to learn not to do and the ability to throw players around is mighty useful (and fun) as well, especially if pressure blocks are around. Power Glove is supposed to be a powerful (hence the name haha) item which one needs to learn to use properly.

Waiting a bit before the battle starts up is something normal, especially in wide stages - there is some stuff that has to be processed then. The wait shouldn't be longer than 1-2 seconds though, and for me it's usually much shorter than that too.

? ? ? is an original stage idea, thanks for liking it :3

Yes, the yellow Rui wrap-around bug was mentioned previously, but the fix was lost in translation. This will be looked at again. Thank you for reporting the bugs.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#189  Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:35 pm  Reply with quote + 
One thing I noticed is that if you kick a bomb at another player and they kick it back, you can still press the C button to stop it even after they kick it. You're still in control, either because its your own bomb or because you're the first person to kick it. Is this intended? It's kind of an interesting mechanic.
Jei
Bomberman

Post#190  Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:39 pm  Reply with quote + 
If you press B, you stop all of bombs you have set if they are kicked.
BlueFire4101
Bomberman

Post#191  Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:50 pm  Reply with quote + 
Well, this is a weird thing that just occurred. This goes back to what I said regarding the Tracing Bomb.

[Collapse Text]

You can't see it here as I wasn't able to catch the explosions, but I decided to have this screen just for easier explanation.

Using the skate power up right by the time as a reference...

I had a bomb set up that was diagonal of that speed up, just around the corner towards the bottom left. I kicked a bomb straight up towards the skate power up, and the bomb I had previously set exploded. What happened was weird, as the kicked bomb was caught in the explosion of the bomb but it didn't explode on the proper tile. The proper tile would be just below the skate power up, as that is where it would have to be to cross the first bomb's explosion. Instead, it blew up on the same tile as the skate power up. That is one tile ahead than it's supposed to be.

This definitely should not be the case. I actually only won because of this, as it being one tile ahead than it was supposed to allowed the bomb to kill Magnet Bomber while barely being out of range of me.

Also, yes I enjoy fighting Magnet Bomber for some reason.
Someone64
Bomberdude

Post#192  Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:39 am  Reply with quote + 
Not sure if this is as bad as in official games but if you continuously run into a bomb with a kick powerup while it's on a kick arrow and the bomb's not moving... well, you know. Maybe make the sound softer so it's at least not worthy of breaking speakers?

Also, is it possible to add an option to prevent revenge bomb replacing taking part at the very start of the match (first 15 secs) to prevent abuse? I was able to win 10 rounds in a row by deliberately killing myself at the very start then bombing everyone one by one from the cart and proceeding to replace the second to the last or accidentally very last bomber.
nadiya8040
Bomberdude

Post#193  Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:35 am  Reply with quote + 
Can you make this stage, It's called Hatahatatoritori from Super Bomberman 4. where the flags are in this stage.
http://bomberman.wikia.com/wiki/Hatahatatoritori

Bug Report:

My Friend, nadiya2000 was playing Power Bomberman, 2 players game on Path of Glory Variations B, I got a error, It's shown 2 White Bombermans and 1 Black Bomberman????
Jei
Bomberman

Post#194  Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:57 pm  Reply with quote + 
Thanks for posting.

@DarkFire4114 The tracing bomb issue is pretty much the same thing you mentioned earlier, one good fix should take care of that.

@Someone64 I'll probably just make the arrow not work when the bomb has just been kicked to prevent that thing, and regarding the Revenge Mode start-up block, I think it's a very good idea.

@AndyThePrince703 Some irregular stages will definitely be added, can't tell if the Flag one makes it though. And I will look into the issue, thanks for reporting.
Azure
Bomberbie

Post#195  Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:39 pm  Reply with quote + 
Heya. Still loving every second I play this game. I was wondering if you might consider adding 2 certain features.

1. Since you can choose which items and the number of them that appear in soft blocks, maybe you could do the same for choosing which items that Bombermen start with. I think there could be some really cool matches made from this. Like starting with 5 full power bombs, but having all soft block items turned off. I'm sure players could come up with awesome combinations.

2. Could you add a 'random item' icon in the soft block item select? This would select random items to place in soft blocks. Here's my logic- there are a lot of cool but obscure items that are usually left off in matches. You usually don't want a bunch of weird stuff filling your matches, after all. But say you set the 'random item' to 1. That means that 1 strong or 1 weird or just 1 more regular item could show up. A wild card like this could spice up matches and keep things unpredictable without shaking up the core Bomberman competition too much. Of course you'd also be able to set random items high and let chaos ensue.
nadiya8040
Bomberdude

Post#196  Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:39 am  Reply with quote + 
The Flag is a trap that appears in the Battle Game of Super Bomberman 4. Each player in the match has a Flag of his or her corresponding color. If the Flag is destroyed by an explosion, the Flag's owner will also be destroyed. The Flag will also be destroyed if its owner is caught in an explosion.
Players may pick up and carry any Flag by walking into it. The Flag can be placed back onto the ground with the Y button. As a result, any player who uses a special ability while carrying a Flag will set that Flag down. In the case of Jet Bomber, the Flag will be destroyed by the attack.

If a Flag is being carried by a player when that player is eliminated, the Flag itself will also be destroyed. Thus, if a player is carrying another player's Flag, and is caught in an explosion, both that player as well as the owner of the Flag will be eliminated. However, if this scenario occurs while there are only two players left in the match, the owner of the carried Flag will not be eliminated as long as he or she is not personally hit by the explosion.

Bombs cannot be placed on top of Flags. (from Bomberman Wiki)

The Flags are only appears on Hatahatatoritori.
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#197  Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:56 pm  Reply with quote + 
Yeah, Flags seem to have been a one-off experiment that only appeared in that one stage of that one Bomberman game. I personally studied the stage back when I was translating the guidebook and I have to say that it really seemed messy. With that being said, a few tweaks could possibly improve it:

1) Make players invincible, such that they can only be killed if their flags are destroyed. It's kind of ridiculous to have two targets for each player, and this places more focus on the flags.

2) Make it so that flags are lifted the same way that bombs are lifted with the Power Glove - the player cannot take any action, not even placing bombs, while carrying a flag. This way, carrying your own flag or carrying someone else's flag has some serious hinderances. In Super Bomberman 4, it was possible to just always carry your own flag and keep dropping bombs, which completely negated the gimmick of the stage.
Someone64
Bomberdude

Post#198  Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:00 am  Reply with quote + 
The problem with invincibility is that you can do that crazy bombspam thing. Meaning if you lay a bomb, wait for it to blow up, and lay a bomb on the explosion, you can continue that forever until you get killed. Number 2 seems like a good idea though. Maybe make it so that you're immune to enemy bombs but not your own?
Plasma Bomber
Board Admin

Post#199  Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:11 am  Reply with quote + 
True, I'd forgotten to take into account the bomb spamming technique. However, I still feel that the players should be invincible. As an alternative, I suggest that players who are blasted away will respawn in their starting positions if their flags have not been destroyed. The delay for the respawn would be up for debate.

Also, the flag should be tossed when the player carrying it is killed.
Someone64
Bomberdude

Post#200  Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:17 am  Reply with quote + 
Maybe if super revenge cart is on and you get blasted without your flag, you will be sent to the cart to replace an enemy as normal but getting your flag blasted while that's happening causes you to get removed from the game entirely.

Also, I find it cool that the reverse controls skull item still works on you if you're on a cart. Questions though. Can you pick up a skull item if it bounces towards you while you're in a cart? Also, which effects affect bombers on carts aside from reverse controls?
Reply to Topic  BombermanBoard Forum Index -> Clones & Projects All times are GMT-5:00 (DST+1)
Page 10 of 45 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

Jump to: 

Total Time: 0.2255s
Index - Back to Top